I love brunch. A lot of people really enjoy breakfast but it is just not my thing. But with brunch, I can have all the lunch foods I enjoy…only earlier in the day. Some friends were hosting brunch at their house so I volunteered to make something sweet. Since it technically was still morning, I decided to stray from chocolate and use fruit. Immediately I thought of an upside down cake with a Georgia twist…peaches! For this recipe, you can use your favorite white cake recipe or even just buy boxed white cake mix and start there.
White cake ingredients:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the milk until batter is smooth
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 can peaches
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Spray sides of a 9×13 dish with nonstick spray
- Add butter to dish and melt in oven
- Once butter is melted, stir in brown sugar until dissolved
- Layer peach slices
- Add the peach juice to the batter and pour cake batter over the fruit, spreading evenly
- Bake for 30-40min
- Once baked, wait 10 minutes then flip onto a serving plate
It definitely is not the prettiest cake. I tried to have the slices in a design but as you can see they slide around while baking! Regardless of looks, it was really tasty (and that’s all that matters, right??). The cake came out really moist and I loved the subtle peach flavor. I think the next thing I want to do is try this in cupcake form, or mini individual cakes…similar to the pineapple upside down biscuits!