The weather has been really crazy here in Atlanta lately. This past weekend, there was no need for jackets, sweaters, or even closed-toe shoes. We had warm temps in the 70s and high humidity, definitely not typical mid-January weather. But, for the past few days it has been raining and the news says to expect below freezing temps! Thanks to all the rain, I’ve had a chance to relax at home and try new recipes. For dinner, I attempted a chicken and mushroom dish. A lot of chicken and mushroom pastas tend to have creamy sauces but I wanted to do a lighter version.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
- Penne pasta
- 2-3 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Italian seasoning
- Few leaves of basil
- Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add garlic
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from skillet
- Cook mushrooms with Italian seasoning in the skillet
- Add broth and boil down until half the liquid remains
- Add chicken, pasta, and basil to the mushrooms
- Season to taste
Top with parmesan cheese and serve! Easy and done! Plus, there was plenty leftover to pack for lunch!
We wrapped up the meal with leftover dessert. Is there such thing as leftover dessert, you might ask? Usually not…unless you go out and are served massive slices of cake that are impossible to finish in one sitting!