Really this is CHUNKY butternut squash risotto. Many times I have had a creamier squash risotto, which I enjoy, but the chunks give it a little more texture which I tend to prefer. Call me crazy but having the chunks makes the meal feel just a tad more fulfilling. I don’t know, it’s probably all psychological. LOL
- 3-4 cupsof chicken broth (you can also use vegetable broth)
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups butternut squash, peeled, and cubed
- 1 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Heat broth in medium sized saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a large saucepan with 2 tbsp olive oil; add onion and butternut squash. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice to onion and squash. Cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add wine. Cook while stirring constantly until wine has been absorbed by the rice or evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth. Cook over medium heat until broth has been absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring rice, adding a 1/2 cup of broth at a time, cooking and stirring until it is absorbed, until the rice is tender, but still firm to the bite, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- During the last minutes of cooking, add remaining tablespoon of butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan, and parsley.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with remaining grated Parmesan.