I was looking for a new recipe for ground beef and originally considered making a beef and barley stew. After some thought, I remembered that Eric isn’t a huge soup or stew fan so that idea was tossed out. Luckily I stumbled upon a recipe for beef skillet that was similar to my first idea, just not in soup/stew form. So, I took out my skillet and started prepping for dinner.
From emily bites
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetable soup mix
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and cook ground beef and onion together, breaking up meat until it is browned. Drain.
- Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce and water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the vegetables, barley and seasonings.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45-50 minutes until barley is tender.
Success! Buying the frozen vegetable mix saved me a lot of prep/cook time. This was really easy and tasted great. Even Eric was a fan of the dish!